Lanterns of Love

Thursday, January 7, 2010

I stared upward, my head tipped back, the tickle of fur grazing my cheeks. In a small break of frosty froth that grayed the sky a handful of stars blinked back at me. Once, twice, several more times before they slid once more into anonymity.

I was reminded of the lanterns Mistress Sev had strung from the wagon tops to beckon and mark ‘home’. I had thought it such a tender gesture for Master Fonce, and it’s sweet affection had even brought the blush of humbleness. My coal lit brazier seemed like such a small comparison. I had not extinguished it, nor stopped leaving my evening conversational arrangement.... snacks and water and small treasures I found. I counted it as my contribution to the light parade.

This night, though, as I watched the sparkle of star light for those brief moments, I realized those beacons were not only for Master Fonce. They wrapped everyone in their illuminating embrace; even me.

It's irresistible.

"He who love touches walks not in darkness." - Plato

0 comments:

Post a Comment