So what exactly makes a person certifiably insane? Is it talking non stop to the wagon wheel and bucket and lickety split fire? Is it singing at the top of your lungs with arms outstretched, face tipped up to the sky, hip shaking, boot stompin and applause hearing? Is it when you make 15 mud,snow, grass people....and talk to them. Or is it when you make twice as many mudballs and use them for target practice. Or maybe this is it.....
She was beautiful. I called her she though in honesty I don't know what it was. Soft downy feathers that would have tickled even the hardest cheek in a butterscotch tawny mix. Little dabs of cream gave her added detail, as if the rain had sprinkled a blessing. Her beak was golden with a tiny splotch that could have been mud from searches for food. She settled without fanfare near one of my decapitated snow/mud people, who gave her a cockeyed sideways glance. I didn't even see her at first, for she almost melted into the landscape I had created. Her breast had puffed up a bit and a shiver shake of feathers came with a ebony eyed study of me just about the time I realized this was not mud nor grass. My surprised gasp was startling I'm sure. I took a giant step toward her and then cradled my arms closer to my body to begin crooning softly. Excitement at seeing something else living on this barren patch of land made my blood race. My eyes probably glittered wildly as well. And instead of my voice being lost in the lilt of breeze and chilled air, it seemed harshly magnified. I stood then, stunned, watching her unfurl glorious wings, tipped with flaming color and take to the sky. I had frightened away the only viable companion I had seen in days. Now, how insane was that?
I bacame quiet. Very very quiet, just in case she might return. I hoped and wished and pleaded that she might return. I silently promised not to rush her like that again. And then I began to wonder. Why did she come? And from where? Did she come in search of food? or perhaps like me, company? Was she lost? Or on a purpose? Was she a sign? Or trying to tell me something? Maybe she came in search of my singing? Anything, really, was possible. I wanted so badly to see her again. And again. My gaze kept sweeping the sky hoping to see the mottled brown with the stunning flame tips upon the wind. And so I started to hum, but as I did so I recalled a little poem Yama had told me. It was a warning actually, though I am still trying to recall all the words.
"Beware when day meets dark. Beware crossroads, where they skulk. They can lurk in fire's crackle and easily travel on sparks. Beware gloomy places among rocks, under things, down holes and caves and shafts of every kind. Beware crags and edges and water's brink - the fey creatures slip along borders, where this meets that.
Some are of terrible icy beauty. Most are..................."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment