Okay

Monday, January 5, 2009

I have scoped out my situation. I have to pause and laugh, for that sounds so much like Uncle Dray that it made me laugh out loud. It is a muffled sound here beneath all the blankets, but it did feel good. A bit of a contrast to how things really are. I was very careful before I went out, though all I really can see from the ragged canvas edges is muddy green specked white which meets up with a very pale blue and turrets of whiter white. Not one sign of person, or animal for that matter, loomed in any direction. My eyes started burning and playing tricks on me, I believe. I swore I found something in the far away distance, but it never moved no matter how long I stared, or from what direction I looked at it. I have named it Seeker, after a story Yama told me.

Finally I slid out to the wagon bed and onto the crunchy mud. I could see little impressions where Toad and Griff must have raced off, and whoever, or whatever chased after them. Larger mud holes must have been where the draft animals lumbered off after being cut loose. I have tried to recall when that might have happened, but I just can't.

The wagon itself leans, stuck in some thick rut. It looks kind of like the first layer cake I ever tried to make. I know I have to get it on more stable ground, somehow. At least it resembles an abandoned wagon, except for my fresh footsteps. Kohut once told me he could find a footprint from a hand earlier, and I suppose if there are any red savages in the area, I will be found out. Kohut is a red savage that worked on the ranch for many many years. He could track anything anywhere. And Vega, who once lived with the Kataii, could smell just about anything on the brother Wind and sister Breeze.

The longer I stayed outside, the safer I felt. There really is nothing in sight for as far as I can see. I wonder how we got so far off course. I wonder where Toad and Griff are, and I pray they are safe and warm, though I hope they return soon. I traveled in circles away from the wagon, searching the ground, but found nothing. It is as if I am alone in the world, completely. Little furry creatures are safe from the 'Great Huntress Genesee'...if I could even do something like that. Which brings me to a decision I must make.

To stay or go.

I will not decide tonight, for daylight is already fading. Tonight I will go out and whisper to the moons and speak to the stars. I am hoping Yama is doing the same, and maybe she will hear me. I will tell her how much I miss her. That I am okay. That I am a little frightened, and cold and hungry. That I am not sure what to do ...tonight...or tomorrow. And I am...lonely.

But I am okay.

0 comments:

Post a Comment