When I woke, it was to the glimmer of stars and the icy beam of moonlight. I had slept so deeply, that I could barely remember where I was. I shook the dark mantle of night slightly, sitting up to wrap arms around my knees. The air was clean and crisp, bearing the slight watery scent of wet rock and earth from the creek down in the valley. I could not see colors even if I tried, though I did search the distance for a few moments. I swear I saw sparks of orange and yellow, tiny bits and pieces of stars that had fallen and shone against a blanket of black. It was enough...enough to lull me back to sleep once more.
The voice beckoned, but it was not the one I was now familiar with. When I realized, I felt a bit of sadness, which surprised me a bit. I guess I wanted my dream, my guidance to be real and tangible. Or maybe something I could summon at my will. Or maybe I just wanted assurance that I hadn't strayed off some path deemed proper for me. The voice came with a sensation against my shoulder and I peeled open my eyes to stare into a pair of sparkling blue ones. They went with a pretty half smile, and were surrounded by a billow of golden red hair. I realized she was speaking, the mouth forming words that got lost for a moment on the breeze before reaching my ears. She asked if I was all right. Why was I here. Who was I. She slipped her hand in mind and helped me up and as we strolled away from the stream and toward the rainbow of color that divided land from sky I told her my story.
Her name was Goldie. I couldn't help but smile wide, for the name just suited her so perfectly. She told me I was lucky the guards hadn't found me, then turned to study me a moment before saying.."no, that wasn't how it was to be." I found her a bit quirky, but I truly liked it. I couldn't let go of her hand, and I lost the battle more than once to keep from weeping with relief and joy. As we neared the splotches of color, I could see that they were tents and wagons. Whites and purples competed with reds and blues, oranges and greens like flowers parading for the clouds in the sky. I could see people, so many people, and my heart swelled with the realization that I was no longer alone. Just as I caught a whiff of food, sending my senses reeling and my stomach lurching, an apparition appeared right in front of my face. Slow to react, I froze in place while a boy, a man of about my age came face to face with me. Covered in blue paint from head to toe, his mouth garishly red against the dye, he cavorted and then spun away from me. Another joined him, painted just the same, and the blue twins continued to dance around us as Goldie led me toward the nearest tent. She told me to pay no mind, they were a group of entertainers, but that just opened up more questions. Questions that I would not get out until later.
I ate, hungrily. Porridge and berries, cheese and bread. From down the rows of banners that snapped in the plains breeze I could hear the thrum of drums. Elsewhere, I heard the tinkling of bells, and voices. So many voices. A woman named Ona ladled more hot vittles as she called it, into my bowl, then gave Goldie a curious glance. Goldie never let go of my hand, and I couldn't have been happier, feeding both my physical need and my emotional one. Finally we rose, and Goldie guided me through the alleys created by the placements of wagons and tents. She took a thick woolen blanket from one stand, then directed me to another where she bid a man she introduced as Digg to find me something to wear. I glanced down self consciously at my clothing, realizing with a start that I was more mud and grass than woman. She paused at a wagon, the opening draped in rich purple and gold. Countless chimes hung from the railings and supports, made of twine and shells, glittering rocks and feathers, circles and triangles of twigs and thread. Inside was all the more decorated. Glass globes reflected and refracted light against the thick draperies that hung everywhere. Small brass pots simmered in corners and stones and bones littered designs on the floor. She handed me a mug of steaming tea, though I had not even noticed her making it and I finally asked her where I was.
"We are the carnival caravan.", she replied.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment