I had changed my method of travel, walking in the daylight ahns so that I wouldn't loose track of the river, or stumble down the bank into a watery grave. Being in the sunlight, even diffused through the clouds as it was, seemed to lift my spirits. I loved the moons, the stars, and their ebony blanket that had so many unexplored depths. I loved dreaming of their secrets, but I felt renewed and invigorated with the dawn and brilliance of day. I had been walking for several days now, sometimes roaming along the rim of a slope that dove to the watery depths. Other times I kept step along the shores that felt the lick of ripples and waves.
While my spirits were lifted, the physical parts of me were failing. I had eaten well enough when we started this journey, then less once Toad and Griff had saved me from uncertain fate, and now that I was myself moving, I ate precious little. I had packed some rations, hoping to find more in my travels, but that had not yet happened. I had paid - dearly - for guzzling the fresh cool creek water, and now was all the more depleted. I tire easily, having to stop and rest countless times throughout the day. I can't seem to get warm. Ever. And every part of me aches. Deeply. As if each step has left an imprint inside of me.
It made me wonder about the people who made their lives on this land. Without benefit of comfortable home, without equipment and ready supplies of food and water. Struggling in boots that left blisters upon blisters on their feet until they could get a moment - and the leather - to make a nicer pair. Perhaps even ones that did not leak, like mine were now doing. I drug myself up a steep slope, kissing the muddy bank often before I reached the pinnacle where I have now set up camp, and there they were.
Off in the distance I can see dots of color. Reds and yellows, blues and bright greens. Even purples and oranges wink and blink against the horizon. I am not sure if it is my mind once more playing havoc with reality. I can not tell if it is 'something' or just a reflection of light off of water, or maybe another abandoned resting place. I like it though. I am going to sleep here, and when I open my eyes if it is no longer there, then ...the dream was at least pleasant.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment