Life Goes On

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

They had thrummed, they had tapped, a boom intersected a trill of notes atop tightly stretched leather. It was the announcement of the Ubar's Congress. And I actually didn't have to ask someone to help me decipher it this time. The second time the announcement came, I noticed a pattern. The third time I heard the drums toward evening, I could even jangle out a bit of the rhythm with my foot, and I rather gleefully turned and grabbed a nearby slave to ask if it was announcing the Ubar's meetings. I was..proud of myself when she gave me an odd look and answered yes. I earned even more puzzled and unappreciative glances when I tried to stamp out that declaration's tune. It sounded rather good to me in my head. Perhaps the others just don't hear things like I do.

I had high hopes of coming to one of the meetings, perhaps to help out if I could. I think Master would like that. He has never really said one way or the other, except at the beginning, when He preferred I not come without proper training. Over time I have been allowed to stay more often, and directed to see to the needs of His friends. Much like seeing to the Mistress, His woman, there is a thrill to the allowance of doing such a thing. I suppose I could think of it in many other ways...but this way matches all the butterfly feelings I get.

I, of course, hope that His face is One among the many at the meetings. For all the times I tell myself I am fine without seeing Him...my heart leaps right up into my throat and pounds with the truth with the slightest idea that He is nearby. Or might be nearby. Legs made of jelly, cheeks warm to the touch, everything blurred and yet clicking into sharp focus. It is a wonder I can actually walk without stumbling.

The first meeting I made was no longer a meeting. I passed by many slowly making their way from the central first fire, catching bits and pieces of comments as they carried the thoughts and ideas home. The things I heard sounded positive, though I could tell one wagon was going to be a bit noisy that evening. Most of it I didn't understand, or at least wasn't sure what it all pertained to. I'm all right with that. Let me take care of my little world, and I will gladly leave the bigger more involved stuff to the people who can. Like Master Brave Warrior Fonce.

There were only a smattering of people remaining when I finally got there, but He was one of them. I hurried up to stand and gaze up to Him as He sat so regal up on the platform, tucking myself between His knees and marveling at how this scenario fit Him perfectly. In my head anyway.

He is not the kind to be above the people, His friends and family, and I know that. His manner and presence is so much more at their level. But He is my hero, and admired and looked up to. The once Ubar...belongs up above me. I always look up to Him. I saw this sudden picture in my mind, of me..all starry eyed and eager...just awaiting His slightest flicker of want. It was a little shocking and exciting at the same time. Before I knew it, it was all over and I kept the echoes company.

The next meeting I made, I came prepared. Washed squeaky clean, my hair combed until the shine outweighed the scorched ragged ends, and a plate of food in hand, I made my way closer. Next time I will make more food. What I thought would make a nice little snack tray turned out to be a meal for the Ubar. There were more people present, though once again I didn't arrive until things were about done.

There was no sight of Master Fonce, though the Artisan was there, tucked within the shadows. I made my way through the people, seeing to their needs, trying my hardest to look pleasing and attractive, and beautiful. For Him. For them. For me. I had never tried to serve so many at once, and I was just starting to get the hang of it all when I noticed a spiral of smoke dusting the dark sky in the direction of our wagons. And all I could think of was...

MY ROAST!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment