The air had a touch of cool to it, keeping the busy workers invigorated and refreshed. Tempting aromas were already painting the air with invitation, and more than once a curious soul would wander closer to see the activity ongoing at the wagons. Ribbons and flags fluttered like tormented flower petals in the breeze by late mornings. Extra platters and bowls would be borrowed from the main camp supply and girls were stacking them neatly on one of our platforms. The lanterns were still in the construction stage, as were some makeshift instruments for fun later. Honeycakes would not be started until midway through the afternoon. With the steps swept and scrubbed, wagon interiors pristine, and even the vulo cleaned and caged, I had plenty of time to work on my own little projects.
Buried to my elbows in cloth and silk, pelts and ribbons, rope and leather..I was determined to add a special flavor of my own to the evening. We would have no simple slaves in traditional garb serving the beckon and desires of the dinner guests. With all the scrap and salvaged items I found, I was determined to dress each up in something special. Special people, special things, that impacted the lives of the brave and mighty Tuchuk. There would be a Paravaci, a Kassar, a Kataii, and a Turian. A girl chained solely in the teeth of the sleen. Another sparsely clothed in dark silk to act as a backdrop to the two kaiila claws dangling around her neck. Several slaves would take turns perched in the position of she-sleen beneath dark pelts as they acted as tables. I even had something planned for myself.
I paused at some point, looking around the clearing humming with life..and couldn't help but...
smile. And hope. I even crossed my fingers.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment