Slipping into the wagon, bathed in amber, hints of soap and spice, leather and tapestry, wood and fire, the faint trace of food layered with the clean fresh scent of the wonderful world outdoors was such a gift. Time spent between my evening rituals last night and today had been jam packed with things and activity and I was deliciously tired. I do not know if these things mean the same to a man as they do to a woman, but atmosphere plays such an important part in my state of being. Tonight the wagon felt so inviting. The colors swirled with the warmth of light, giving me such a peaceful feeling. It was a joy to tuck the blanket around Red a bit more securely, to run my fingers through the woven blankets, the deep pile of the furs, to create that soft lump of pillow in preparation for another occupant.
I drifted back expecting to fall instantly asleep but I found myself laying there instead. It was with a sudden upright jerk of body that I realized I had not said good night to Sister moons and all the stars. I couldn't remember the last time I had let a night go by, willingly, without my evening conversation. It was to them that I told all my confessions of childhood. To them I told my dreams and hopes, my sorrows and even my plans for the next day. I regaled them with stories of my adventures, and thanked them profusely for yet another day's blessing. I have believed at times that I can reach across time and space to touch the spirit of others. Most often it is Yama that I feel, but since the advent of my journey, other voices have colored the stars above. Yama said it would only happen when we both were gazing into the night sky at the same star at the same time. The odds are stacked against such a happening, but that hasn't stopped me from trying.
I told the night about my cooking adventures, for I was branching out and making more than just the basics. The Mistress had told me the Brave Warrior didn't like much spice, and I made certain the dishes were made that way. I did add a little of my own concoction, though I had yet to find one thing that Yama always taught me was important in a healthy diet. I held out hope that I would find it eventually, either in some part of yet unexplored land, or maybe it would be part of the booty of a raid. I was beginning to like the results of some of these raids, without thinking too hard on what all else it entailed. Master didn't eat at the small fires that held His wagons together like the hub of a wheel. I had seen Him eating at the larger central fires, and I am not sure if that was simply His preference or He had just grown used to not having a hot meal awaiting Him during His bachelor days. Maybe with Red and I both here, He would think about the possibility of a meal at His own fires upon occasion.
During all the goings on the previous night with the free women, Asria had told me that Master had approved my giving her a hand over at her wagons. This surprised me in a pleasant way. I enjoy being useful, and have helped out whenever and where ever possible. I had understood this irritation in Red too, stuck in one place with nothing to occupy you. I could only clean an already clean wagon so many times before the pointlessness began to be apparent. With that in mind I had brought Red a basket of leather to stitch up, much like Dee had brought me. Like the theory of giving a smile to another, and they in turn give it on, and on - I had begun doing with Red what Dee had done with me. Perhaps this tale had a start in the very beginnings and will continue until the last Tuchuk breathes. I had an eagerness to see what Red would do with it all, and I was delighted to see leather sacks hanging from everywhere around Master's wagon, curing and drying. It looked like someone had hung fringe or light globes on the ribs of His wagon, and that gave me a little idea for the future.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment