I did not find Dee, at least not that evening. Instead I saw Red. I had went about my usual routine with a swirling mind. Thoughts were playing havoc with reasoning and clear thinking, but doing the things I knew how to do served me well. All was in order when the silver moonlight painted everything muted tones and I finally sat down for a heart to heart discussion with the stars.
He arrived with a casual stride, taking the steps in the dark without a hitch, narrowly missing me curled up in the shadows. My mind was singing 'He is here He is here' and my feet were dancing along with the tune until I was in His arms and that smile was blessing me from one end to the other. He sent me for milk, and that is ...milk fresh from the bosk cow herself. Roguish men of his sort usually are ready for paga at this point in the evening, in my experience, but that just proves a little point I have held in my head all this time. He is not your usual Man. He is not a man to find relaxation an easy part of his day. He is not a man who tends his duties and then shuts them out when he perceives it to be "his time". No, He lives His responsibilities, His passions, every moment of His life.
When I turned to go after the milk, I saw a pretty redhead standing in the doorway. Ah..His other slave...finally. I have often wondered if He had a whole other set of wagons where they stayed. I had heard of a man when I was with the caravan that had two entire families, each in a different city. Did Brave Warrior Fonce have wagons at the end of the line, complete with a slave or two as well?
Over the next few days I would come to learn more of slave Red. This evening, I was granted a pressing wish to learn more of Master Fonce. He has a delectable humor that shines in His eyes. He is not afraid to be compassionate and caring, and while I am without any misconceived notions that He is not capable of violence and savagery - He is wise enough to use other means to get His ends. He shared with Red and I a little summary of His people, and the pride rises in His chest and is written gloriously on His features. A woman interested in His heart would do well to develop the love of land and sky and bosk as He does. To see the value of people in His eyes. Both Red and I had interest in the ragged marks that served as story scars on His cheeks. He has many of them, in several colors, and each was explained to us. I did not ask that night, but I plan to in the future, for I want to know the stories behind each one. For the first time since I have met Him, I asked before touching. I am not sure why I did so, but in the moment I felt like it was a treasure, and I didn't want to blemish the shine.
The one that impacted me the most was that of courage. The scar of red. To me He embodies courage, redefines it repeatedly and offers encouragement to others in just that way. It takes courage to live. It takes courage to love. It takes courage to stand tall and proud, to believe in yourself, to believe in another so much that You would give over your heart and soul...and even your very dreams.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment