I was shaking out a fur over the edge of a railing when I looked up and saw Dee. My heart leaped a few times and finally settled when I bounded down the steps to sweep her into a hug. She started laughing softly, but pushed me away, looking up with a worried frown. Finally, she spilled what has been bothering her, and all her attempts to fix it too. When she admitted she had not given me slave wine, I assured her it was fine. This beautiful camp slave had been at the supply wagon near the main fire one night. Riders came in with shouts and cheers, and a few slaves in the making trailing behind. Slave wine was offered in abundance, and I took some for myself and Red. Even though we had not yet tasted of such fruits, it still burned in my brain that I was up for grabs. It seemed quite the logical thing to do.
I said all this with ease, until I realized just what had upset Dee so much and then my mouth fell open. Amidst my own blushing realizations, I hugged her again. I didn't even want to think of the implications of such a thing, and I was rather glad the problem simply didn't exist. Right about then Dee's Master showed up. Dee and I were already laughing about things going on around camp when her eyes lit up and she raced to his feet.
Thankfully he had other things on his mind, like a bola race in the afternoon. Oh, how uncomfortable I felt explaining that I needed to stay put, right where I was. That I needed to learn to respect the movements of the camp - the people - and think before I simply acted. I think all men are alike in their wicked humor. Dee's Master told me that I would then be the last to know what beauty my Master would win at the stakes.
Dee and I both got this look on our faces, and it sent Him into deep and loud laughter. He turned then and Dee followed, but not before I begged for her to return when she could.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment