I was tired, though not so much physically drained as at a completion point where what I wanted was to sit and relax and maybe socialize a little. Since our arrival at the Southern Camp, for however long we might actually stay put, I had been busy like the rest getting things settled and unpacked and arranged. These might not actually be my wagons, but I treat them as if they are my own - they are my home - and I fuss a little extra, move a few things, and putter until the feelings I get are of congeniality and welcome. A visitor could walk into any of Master's wagons, find a comfortable area to sit in, and a tidy friendly atmosphere. The air is always fresh and clean, and often has a delicious scent to it. I have Red to thank for that, for she seems to have a way with mixing things to smell wonderful.
It is nice to have another to share the chores with. At first I wasn't sure about it, just how we all would work together, but there is plenty to do and we accomplish it without much incident. If Master should ever want those vulo, or the verr that have been offered - things that would make His wagons all the more 'lived in' - I think we would handle it well.
Yamka had asked me to find her some ribbons in the supply wagons. I thought that would be a simple task, though I wasn't sure how many ribbons I might actually find. It proved to be more difficult than I imagined, as my first exploration of the main camp supply wagons didn't have any ribbons at all in plain sight. I returned the next day with a little more time on my hands, and the idea to ask Seveya about her ribbon supply if all else failed.
The inside of the supply wagons are hot and stuffy. The smoke hole is not fully open, and no fire pleasantly dries or scents the dusty air. I imagine the camp slaves air them out now and again, for while it is crammed full, it is not dank or musty. I spent ahns pulling things out of place and searching through trunks and crates, barrels and boxes and baskets. Sweat dripped down beneath my shift and when I took a step outside I was met with blinding light as my eyes tried to adjust. I spent a good deal of time simply reorganizing, putting things together according to intended use instead of by color or most recent acquisition. By the time I was done, after two full afternoons, I had two bundles of ribbons to leave for Mistress Yamka. I took a few for use at Master's wagons as well. One, I would use pieces of for His...boots.
When His presence has been felt around the wagons again, I find comfort in that. At night, I rest for a while, then rise to make sure all the wagons are secure. It is at that time that I search Master's platform for His boots. He's a tidy man, and either leaves them outside, or close to the exit. I guess He doesn't wish to track the day through His rugs and furs. Once, He was so restless, I slipped inside and lay a hand to the middle of His back, rubbing lightly. He didn't waken, but calmed beneath the warmth of my hand. The warmth of my hand, however, must seem like a chilled cloth, for His heat is like a fire burning.
Sometimes His boots tell a story, complete with grass and mud and scuff marks. Other times, they seem miraculously clean. Some night I am going to wake Red and have her sit with me. We can create tales of where the boots have been today. In an effort to let Him know He is...noticed...I have been leaving things inside. Once, it was a piece of the ribbon I took from the supply wagon. A silvery gray, it reminded me of the moons and stars. When the pale light reflected off one side, it sent shimmering rainbows to dance along the silver surface. The other was a velveteen darkness that kept the midnight sky in the mind's eye. I had tied a few beads from the slave wagon on the length, and tucked it inside the boot, making it hard to miss. Another night, the top loop of the boot pull was tied up with a knot of silver ribbon, made just for the fingers to find.
Typically, I was not thinking of such surprises when I ran into Master at the stream. He was relaxing with a few others, and I approached without my full out enthusiasm, just a brush of cheek in greeting. It still earned me a low growl, which I didn't quite figure out until later. After...He left. Mistress Cana told me a few things that left me so very embarrassed. Red in the face was a perfect place to be as I settled onto the stream bank with Red, herself. I let her talk, for my mind was twisting and twirling in thought. She told me of her family, a larger family than I realized she had. And then anger and sorrow started spilling out around on the ground like displaced raindrops. The only thing Red wanted was more stones, and since my other methods of comfort weren't working, I went searching.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment