Three Turians and a Magpie

Friday, June 5, 2009

I have spent some time down at the stream with slaves. Many of them are new, recently acquired women from the stakes of Turia, prizes to the victorious Tuchuk. I feel a bit of kinship with them, in that I am still wandering through the haze of a new life myself in ways. Just as there are an infinite amount of types of women, there are likewise, just as many reactions to their new found status as slaves - and the relationships with their owners as well. I don't know most of their names. If we even get to exchanging names, remembering them is not the easiest of things for me. Though I will say, some men have a sick sense of humor.

I had a basket with me, and I was filling it with stones. Small glittering smooth ones that seemed to light up Red's eyes, and larger stones that would cover my palm. There was a pale skinned brown eyed girl next to me, washing out a large amount of cloth and blankets. Amidst a volley of teasing, I could see her jaw tensing and the whitening of skin around her mouth as it pressed tightly. She suddenly became vocal, spilling out a venom filled diatribe proclaiming herself happy to do anything to be free of her owner's miserable wagons and filthy clutches. Her eye sparked with a golden fire that was almost shocking in intensity and she rose quickly to leave us at the stream gaping.

The second girl shivered as she dunked wash into the chill of the stream water, holding it down and letting the clear liquid pool around her elbows. There was fear in her voice when she spoke. The fear was a key to her survival, and it compelled her explicit obedience and surrender.
The third had settled easily into her status, it would seem. Blue green eyes smiled when she spoke of her Master, saying He was delighted with His consequent win, affectionately called His pet already. Her cheeks flushed softly, and her lines softened, much as if she already leaned in enchantment against his thigh.

We had just started talking when three older boys drove their kaiila through the stream, hellbent on dousing us all with an early bath. We all scattered after that, and I hoisted up the now heavy basket to take my treasure back home. My shift would need washing, as would the silvery strip of ribbon that gathered up the fraying neckline of the dress I wore, compliments of mud splatter.

I was slowly undressing as I walked back, slipping the mottled gray of ribbon free from the edging around my neck when a noisy chattering filling the air and I looked up to watch a marvelous black bird swooping through the air. It had iridescent blue black plumage and a broad white patch on it's chest, much like a shield. My thoughts of relationships, connections, and a particular Brave Warrior were given over to the free glide of wings capturing the air. I could see it all the way back to Master's wagons, and even paused at the fire pit to ask what it was doing.
Not expecting an answer, the surprise was on me when it dove repeatedly in my direction. I panicked, and I am pretty sure the sleen contentedly sleeping in the cool shade of the wagon bed will not forgive my screeching for a long time. Rocks spilled everywhere, and not only did that scavenger manage to snatch up the most glittery one, but it got my ribbon on top of it. I was...pissed.

0 comments:

Post a Comment