Wonderful

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

A gathering of leather hung over my shoulder with weight thumping against my back. It made a song of beats against my skin, and I wondered if this was something akin to the drums of the Tuchuk, feeling the rhythms with more than just one's ears. The final sack of dung was being delivered to it's destination - that of Master Fonce's wagons - and I was enjoying the completion. Morning was already burned into memory when I arrived, running through a list of possible things to do next. I stopped as I stepped between two wagons, the depths of shadows bastardizing the shape of familiar things. Two visions captured my attention, both something I could not recall having seen before.

One was Red with a blanket wrapped around her head, smiling. At first I didn't realize who it was, though the blackened slices of shift she wore should have given it away. Once I had it in my head who it was there, I stepped back just a hort into the shadows so that I could watch her while she worked. It was not for long, for Red was just leaving the vulo wagon and heading off to parts unknown. I chuckled inwardly, glancing up and to my right just before Red melted into the bright light of day, her flaming mane now naked to the world.

This was the second oddity that I found this day. Diamond glitter breathed on the side of the Spex wagon, skating back and forth slightly with the whisper of breeze. I wondered what magic inside was creating such a stellar depiction on the outside. Had someone - Master Brave Warrior Fonce - decided to bring the night sky with all it's dream laden lights to rest upon simple canvas, like a visible promise that hope can be kicked around but never dies. Enthralled, I took a step and then another, keeping my eyes glued to the spectacular portrait. The third step I took left a sudden darkness in the midst of all the sparkling lights. My shadow suddenly took the composition and swallowed it whole, and not a light twinkled inside of me. I was dejected for a moment, hurriedly placing my foot into another step so that the glimmer might return. From the corner of my eyes something sparked, and I turned to look, seeing a roll of silver netting.

I started laughing, at myself mostly. My heart felt full and warm as I did so. Red had a glow of happiness about her. Mistress Sev had indeed found something to help with the vulo, and we could probably give those vulo a bit of yard to scratch around in now. And then there was me - the starry eyed girl - seeing all manner of wonderful just about everywhere I looked.

0 comments:

Post a Comment