I awoke to a lazy day. We are still not moving, and it is a time of restless pause. I didn't mind. I was happy to lay and count the gray clouds, search out a speck of red paint on a wagon, or listen as hard as possible to hear a drum beat three rows over and 15 wagons back. They say it is going to rain, but so far the sky has seen fit to only sprinkle us with gauzy drizzle now and again. I didn't mind. I worked on the leather pieces, trying to make them into botas, though I kept finding myself scratching little loops and hearts in the hide with the tip of the needle, and my fingers were raw from all the times I missed. But I didn't mind. All my floating sensations had settled into a happy little hum of moving through the day with a sparkle in my eyes and a smile from deep inside.
By midway through the afternoon, all the nuggets of fuel were gathered, meats were roasting, water barrels were filled and even a few eggs were gathered. Dee suggested we go to the stream for a little bit of cleaning up. For all the differences I thought might slap me in the face with my decision to be what I was, to be a slave to Fonce of the Tuchuk, most had been very subtle. At least so far I had found them to be so. Yes, I roamed around with women barely dressed, including myself. At any point in time, one of them could be called away, or ordered, or simply snagged for any type of task...or other things. But my bubble of protection was once more keeping me away from such things. A bath would prove to show me the difference of what I was, and what I wasn't.
A few days before, it was all over camp that the Ubara had called for baths for all the women. Free women. Women who could luxuriate in hot water and scented bubbles. It was so appealing, just thinking of it. Rubbing away the grit and grime, feeling squeaky clean and not shivering in the not that warm air. Smelling delicately scented, like a woman should. My hair free of debris, soft and shiny, falling against my shoulders and emitting a light perfume with every turn of my head. Looking pretty....just in case.
Instead, I was still grubby, wearing smudges of mud here and there, my perfume one of trail dust, damp grass and mud. When Dee offered the chillier version, I was so very happy to indulge. Chilly water didn't faze me, not today. I was warm, all I had to do was think of my Brave Warrior and I felt that heat rising inside. Dee said I had stars in my eyes. I think it was the sparks from inside, myself. We were to meet at the crooked bend just to the left of a clump of grass. I never found Dee.
I found...my Master.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment