A Woman in Love

Monday, March 23, 2009

I met Dee's Master today. He is stockier than Brave Warrior Fonce, wider across the chest, thicker around the waist, and He has bright blue eyes that dance from the nut brown of skin and sandy brown of hair. He was atop a russet colored kaiila, wearing brown leather and a brown jacket, and covered in tan dust. I thought of a mud puddle, reflecting the arc and shimmering hues of a rainbow, capped off with the brilliant rain washed blue of sky.

We had gone in search of Brave Warrior Fonce, a bota of water slung over my shoulder and a light meal tucked in a leather wrapped package. I had found signs of life in His wagon from the previous night and my desire to see He was cared for, and simply to see Him, had continued to grow. Dee had been willing, since our morning chores were finished and well behind us. Dodging the wagons and riders, we walked along more open ground, able to talk more easily without the onslaught of dirt and debris.

The front of the wagon line stretched before us, perhaps 50 wagons in length. Behind us, trailing as far as the eye could see, came the rest of the wagons, like a multicolored ost forever following a path of prey. I couldn't help but be in awe when I looked around me. The whip and snap of brightly colored flags and banners competed only with the multitudes of colors on wagon canvases, and contrasted sharply with the browns and deeper shadowed colors of bosk and animals. It was like a great sea of paint, dotting the plains with the brush strokes of a mighty people. Sounds and smells were as plentiful as colors, and if I sought peace or quiet, I knew it would be a long time before I would be satisfied. A drum beat kept pace with the lumbering roll of wagon wheels and songs drifted on the crisp breeze, coming and going like musical passages that faded and grew, making an entire symphony.

I was trying to see everything. I turned and twirled, keeping the bells at my ankle in constant chiming as I found one sight after another to marvel at. I was looking as well, trying to find that familiar physique even from a distance. Dee was laughing, then suddenly took hold of my hand and drug me toward a group of men riding slowly, keeping watch on the beginning wagons. I thought she had spotted the Warrior, but try as I might, I could not pick Him out of the group. I began to wonder if my mind's eye had tricked me as to what He might look like, when I heard her breath exhale with a sensual greeting. The introductions were not necessary, for if ever I could envision what love and adoration might look like upon a woman's face, it was all there softly stained on Dee's face. And she was beautiful.

She's in love, you can tell)
(She's a woman in love)
(Just a woman in love)

Your eyes are the eyes of a woman in love
And oh, how they give you away
Why try to deny you're a woman in love
When I know very well what I say

I say no moon in the sky ever lent such a glow
Some flame deep within made them shine
Those eyes are the eyes of a woman in love
And may they gaze ever more into mine
Tenderly gaze evermore into mine
(Four Aces)


He asked what we were doing, then asked me what I planned to do when I found my Brave Warrior. I drug myself away from the moment lost in the look of Dee to realize that it was a question posed to me. I stumbled over my words several times before I lamely held up the package of warm food, gaining enough composure to add a gracious thank you for letting Dee work with me. Pleasantries aside, He still wished to know what I planned when I found said intended recipient, and I gushed out something akin to wrapping Him up in a hug of thanks for letting me stay here. His eyes took on an amused gleam, and His mouth parted in a broad smile, and the slight rock of shoulders indicated inner laughter. He then told us that Fonce of the Tuchuk was not riding up front today. Perhaps further back I might find Him, but it was likely to be quite a walk, or even a good run. I professed that I loved to run. This brought the upward perk of eyebrows and the invitation to run the bola for Him. Others joined round and before I knew what was happening, wagers were being placed. I confided in Dee later that I possessed no great skill in running, just a passion for the exhilarating dance over the ground. I also had no idea what this was all about, running and bolas. This time, her look had me worried.

A good ahn after I had passed wagon upon wagon, waved time and again, grown so used to the constant jangle of bells that they seemed to be a part of the wind itself, I slowed. I had seen no hint or shadow of my Warrior, nor had anyone that I asked along the way. The meal was cold, and long past being tasty, and the distance back to the front of the line loomed long and arduous. The Central Fire had dipped behind clouds that were clinging to the tips of grass in the distance. The air was cooler, and I knew it would be time to pause for the evening before long. I turned, running back the way I had come, though the way was harder for all the times I kept looking back over my shoulder.

I sat alone that night, comforted in the semicircle grouping of wagons and kept warm by a pelt while resting on one of the platforms. I had rearranged the beads on the fluffed up furs, set the chips of dung to glow within their fiery confines, and made sure more were available for later use. I had no special treat this night to share, and so I just tied up a portion of cheese chunks. I sat tracing designs with my fingertip over the grain of wood, trying to think of what more I could do when the woman Asria approached.

I was so happy to see her, though she came without her daughter and that made me hold my breath for an ihn. When she offered the bowl of succulent food, scented with a blend of spice that tantalized my senses, and hot enough to transfer the heat even to the bowl, I could have kissed her in thanks. I knew she was probably still hurting inside, missing her companion of the heart. I could see it in her eyes, the soft sadness that still lingered there. How nice of her to gather up the will to care about others. I started to ask her to stay awhile, but she hurried off as quickly as she arrived. I hope she returns. I think it would be wonderful.

0 comments:

Post a Comment