The night was cool and crisp, as if everything were brought into sharp focus and deep detail. I had stayed out as long as I could keep my eyes open, talking to the moon sisters and counting the stars. I could see Yama doing the same, and a pang of missing her enveloped me with a deep hold. I traced the path of my journey since leaving her, telling her all the stories and realizing just how much they had shaped my life. I realized, with another sharp twinge, that most likely my family thought all of us gone to them forever - myself, Toad, Griff. I knew I could no more change that grief, than I could change that of my Brave Warrior's. Time...and open hearts were all that could help.
I trailed my security of chain back to the furs within the wagon and curled up for a much needed rest. It was as if all the trials of my trip had finally caught up to me and we had a conversation and they finally returned to history with a contented smile. The wagon felt warm, the crimson shadows paraded against the canvas and I slipped off to sleep dreaming of unfinished sketches and the whole world just waiting to be colored in.
When morning came, it came with the smell of food rich in the air and the much more awake than I voice of Dee. I most likely scowled as I sat up, trying to push all the sleep and fuzz from my brain, but it didn't last long. How could it? The Central Fire was pouring through the opening of the wagon like it was spilling from a great golden jug. I dressed, or started to, but something drew my attention, and then it made my heart flip a few times in my chest. There, circled around my ankle, where that thick manacle used to be, sat this slender strand of bells. I lifted my foot, twirled it, stamped it and then just touched each and every one over and over. It was surprise and a thick emotional clutch at my throat that kept me from answering the beckoning call to Dee right away. They struck me so poignantly that I twirled around just to hear them. All I could think of was that he was there, and how he could do such a thing without waking me made me laugh over and over. It did not escape me either, the tumble of feelings deep within that thought of the care he took of me, of his finger's touch, and what he might have been thinking. Did he finally rest, here, in the familiarity of his own things? I hoped so, and I hoped somehow, I provided a bit of comfort.
When I finally joined Dee, left ankle first and a smile as broad as the side of the wagon, she just laughed and patted the lowest platform step. It was one I could never reach before and I took great delight in settling down beside her. Dee told me of the things she was to show me, to teach me, and I hopped up from the step anxious to get working. I told her that I knew next to nothing and the sooner we got started the better, but she still had that patient smile for me. Then she pointed out the basket of leather she had brought for me to work on in my spare time. She thought I had plenty to keep me busy now, and she touched my hand, saying my Master was very specific about what I was to learn. Those words - my Master - nearly took away my breath, but I still managed to beg Dee to take me with her when she took Him some refreshment later that day. I told her, no dream I had was ever this fantastic.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment