A copper for your thoughts

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Pride is a throbbing vital life force of people everywhere. It is not always brawn and might that make us strong, but pride in who we are. Pride in knowledge, ability, devotion, talent, even in service separates the successful from the weak. The Paravaci are no different. Pride swells their chests and stands tall beside them. Ghutan was every example of such, perched atop a heavily decorated kaiila. Jewels winked in the rays of light granted from the clouds along the edge of a dark leather saddle. Several strands of glittering baubles draped across his broad chest, and golden chains swayed beside the reins to his mount. The others with Ghutan were garbed much the same, but none commanded such presence as he did.

Warriors and merchants traded goods, stories, jabs at each other, talk of hunting prospects, anything and everything. Fascinated, I was kept busy moving back and forth helping wrap up a jar, or help to stow horns or pelts. The leather and copper bracelet, still locked upon my wrist, kept track of every step I took. And more than once I found myself staring back at a rugged face of one of the Warriors, as blatantly curious as I. I could see the infamous scars now, close up. They looked painful, and sometimes hideous. Perhaps it was the talent of the hand that formed them, or maybe it was due to the particular sculpture of the cheek. I felt a bit judgemental then, for Vega had told me a bit about the markings. I knew, as much as a woman untouched by such things could know, how they represented courage, pride, valor and most likely more. That aside, I still wanted to know how the whole thing was done.

Ghutan had stayed apart, like a watchman, waiting. Every now and again I would glance over to him. Several times he offered me a wide toothy smile. It was not the most pleasant of smiles and I would fight a little with a shiver that wanted to crawl down my spine. When it seemed like all the good trading was over, the metal and jewels, the grains and spices, the cloth and wooden articles were all picked over - then Ghutan dismounted and slowly strode toward the merchants. The air took on a different quality, as if waiting now for what might come next. Ghutan would not be disappointed by what was offered to him in trade, for the merchants seemed to have fresh stashes of goods to offer. Several deals found successful completion before he stood near Jordian and Mag. Like two combatants squaring off, Ghutan faced Jordian over piles of beads and jewels and tins. Mag excused herself to find one of the warriors and the bartering began.

I was trying to watch them both, Jordian and Ghutan, and Mag and the other Paravaci. Mag was motioning to me, though it was not an invitation to join her. It was something that caused the man to focus upon me intently. Yellowed teeth flashed before he would come to stand near Ghutan. Jordian seemed to be putting on his best performance, bringing out everything possible to offer the other. Flashes of gold, silver and copper, even prisms of diamonds caught whatever light was available and sent a bevy of sparks to dance over skin and canvas. The volume of sales was small, but I had no doubt that the prices were high.

The day had worn down, quieting against a backdrop of dusk filtered sky. Mag and the one warrior she had been speaking to now congregated around Ghutan. They all were looking to Jordian, who had developed a thin line of sweat at the cleft in his chin. The bartering I had thought over, now seemed to start up again, but it held a more serious tone. Jordian turned to look back at me, and while an odd looked traced around the edges of his eyes but he smiled and told me to go store some of his new acquisitions in the wagon. It seemed like a good idea to do so, especially with everyone else staring expectantly in my direction. The air crackled behind my departure, and my last look was one of Jordian turning to face the others. I heard, after a long time, laughter. Deep and dark and rich laughter that scattered over the plains and held more than mirth. Then the Paravaci left.

0 comments:

Post a Comment