We drove for a few more ahn, stopping to make camp when the sky above was washed with cooler tones of violet, deep rose, and a layer of orange. Patches of icy white had dotted the grass days ago, but now it was browns and greens and a smidgen of fresh color interspersed. The air was a bit warmer too. Nothing that would mean shedding a coat, or even a hood at times, but noticeably easier on the cheeks and nose. A deep breath filled me with the sensation of coming spring. And who could feel doldrums when they knew spring was coming? Spirits were high as pots were set over sparking coals to heat, and we all pitched in to set up for the evening. The men spoke of leaving at dawn, making it to the trading spot by late morning. Mag even seemed relaxed as we worked together on the evening meal. Even surprising me with a pouch that held a leather and copper colored bracelet within its soft folds.
I thought perhaps this was a..truce of sorts. For Mag was eager to stay nearby me, and insisted on helping me put the bracelet around my wrist, locking it securely in place. Perched on each side, snugly wrapping around my wrist bones were wings, forever clipped in place. In the center, what looked like an opal formed the body of a butterfly taking flight. Delicate chains looped from the underbelly of the winged creature, ending in small tinkling bells. Every turn of my wrist gave a melodic song to the wind, and Mag smiled widely pleased at the way it looked.
It came in handy when we all settled into the evening, telling stories and singing songs. Pots and drums were drug from wagon storage, and anything else that might make music. I got the feeling that we wanted the wagon people to know we were around. I lifted my wrist to try to keep time with the thuds around me. I have been accused of not having a lick of soul within me, and I would agree. No one seemed to mind, however, as I added the soft chirp of bells to the mix. It was a rather happy feeling, capturing the essence of the carnival caravan, and celebrating life. Unfortunately, I discovered that the bracelet was truly locked on my wrist when I finally retired for the evening. Locked with a key that Mag still had.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment